Monday, January 16, 2012

PRESEASON

For those of you that do not know much about me, I am a college softball coach and tomorrow we start our first day of preseason practice.  Preseason??!! You may be saying, isn't it too cold out?  Where can you possibly do that in the Northeast?  Well, my team along with all of the other colleges in the country will be taking our softball skills and drills into our gyms for the next 6-7 weeks.  All the hard work and time spent will be put to the test once our season begins when we play our first set of games down in Florida in the first week of March.  

So where am I going with this?  Well, I can't help but consider what I am currently doing in the 90 day challenge as my preseason training.  As of May 2012, I will have been crossfitting for 1 year.  I am a freshman, about to enter into my first attempt at the Crossfit Open that starts at the end of February.  Preseason is the time to focus on all aspects of the game that you need to win.  You pick your weaker skills and give them extra attention.  My team spends a lot of time working on baserunning and will sometimes focus on hitting the outside pitch for an entire practice.  As a crossfitter I volume train my bodyweight movements and work on technique for my Oly lifts.  I think of myself as a walk-on freshman.  I wasn't recruited.  I turned to crossfit because I had not lost my competitive edge and love the feeling of being a part of a team.  Most college walk-ons have that same desire.  I am going to work my hardest to improve myself and my skills to show my coaches that I am serious about the game and what I am working towards.  Maybe I will get the opportunity to show what I can do, but if I don't I am not going to give up.  I will keep working hard and supporting everyone else around me that is working towards the same goal.  As a member of the competitors team at ACF/CCP I know that we are all eligible to help our team qualify for regionals.  Each week when I hit the Open WOD I am going to give everything I have to do the best that I am capable of.  You never know what can happen in the heat of battle.  

My schedule is about to get pretty hectic and I have mapped out every workout I will attend for the next 3 months along with my practice schedule.  Since I have two preseasons at one time, my focus must increase as my goals have now doubled.  They may be different from the outside, but from the inside they are very similar.  My stress and workload will be increased greatly so it will be important for me to stay on track and keep myself motivated.  Best of luck to everyone in your preseason training!!

Updates: This week I had a bit of a hiccup and fell off the food wagon.  Just one meal, so don't worry, I'm right back on.  I blame the NY GIANTS and the 8 other females I watched the game with on Sunday.  If only there was a video camera filming what may have been the funniest 3 hours of football ever.  All hardcore fans, all screaming and cheering, all talking about how nice looking their butts were. 

I have taken up couponing.  I have found myself in the grocery store almost every other day because I either run out of something, or have an idea for the best dinners ever!  So I think that some savings are in order!  FYI bacon wrapped scallops are like the candy bar of seafood treats.  Absolutely delicious.

I did Bikram again this week.  Note to self-don't do Bikram after a WOD. You will be exhausted. I took some extra rest this week.  My body was speaking to me.

Lastly, I hit FRAN and gymnasty on Saturday.  Fran was 4:53 with 65# and ring rows.  Gotta get those pullups!!!  Gymnasty was awesome.  I did my first kipping ring pull up, and then did a few more.  That was the highlight of my week.


2 comments:

  1. Good job with Fran and the kipping ring pull ups! I know I was surprised at how hard those were at that gymnasty class. Good luck with your hectic schedule and the crossfit open. You'll be great!
    -Christine
    P.S. Go Patriots! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ali,

    Nice work this week, stay positive and keep moving forward. Good luck with your softball season! You should seriously consider competing on 2/11. As an athlete you know you accomplish great things in the heat of the battle. Looking forward to seeing you!

    Sess

    ReplyDelete